GDPR – new data protection measures
By virtue of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) the rules on data protection will change significantly as of 25th of May, 2018.
Although there is still some time to comply with the GDPR and the supplementary Hungarian provisions are still to be adopted, but it is important to start preparations in time, given that there are several important changes.
Amongst the changes, the following can be highlighted:
- a simple, comprehensible information is necessary, when the enterprises request a consent to data usage,
- the right to data portability is introduced according to which the individual may transfer his/her data from one service provider to another,
- the individual has a right to deletion, as in, anyone may freely request the deletion of their data,
- The individual’s rights faster and more efficient enforcement towards the data controllers,
- data protection issues, such as data theft, and leakages are voluntarily and immediately reported to the proper authorities by the data controllers, along with the necessary measures, and notification of those affected,
- last but not least, the maximum administrative fines are multiplied significantly: the current maximum of 20 million HUF may increase to 20 million EUR, or 4% of the data controller’s global yearly income.